Friday, August 2, 2013

On My Own

Well its official Kristen has left me on my own in Kathmandu, the city of chaos. She had to get to Besisahar to get back to work and I need to stay here to learn nepali. The good instructors are all here in the big city and when Kristen is around she acts as a crutch for me to lean on and not speak Nepali, so this is a necessary thing but a little scary. 
I have moved in with Sapana's family only one of whom speaks english so my learning curve has to be sharp. The family that is at the house currently consists of Sapana's mother,father, brother, niece (pictured below, my i pad is her new favorite toy), and sister in law. Only Sandip the brother speaks english and it is broken but understandable. Her niece is very cute and thinks everything I do is hilarious especially when I try to speak Nepali. I helped her with her homework last night. It was in english and much harder than first grade homework in america. I was a little bit frustrated because she understood none of it and simply looked for answers from the people around her. I will figure some way to make her think. The math homework was much more successful than the english. I got her to count by 4's 5's and 6's to 80. 
This is Nisham.


I am also taking language classes from two different instructors. I like the nepali man of about my age better but he is not nearly as good as the older woman. She is more expensive and rather pushy about lessons and money, but a very good teacher. I am learning a lot and right now, it is all a bit jumbled in my brain but I'm sure it will all sort out soon. Anyway I have to go I have another language lesson to get to. I will post again soon. 

3 comments:

  1. Thor sounds like you're diving right in and on your way to becoming a Nepalese! Great Adventure and can't wait to see you at Christmas to hear your tales in person..Love you! and as Britta said stay safe! sumama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems like it's already an amazing trip! I was expecting a post once every two weeks or so but I was pleasantly surprised! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So enjoying your posts, Thor. Sounds like you're providing some great education (and amusement!)for that little girl. Total immersion in a new language is the fastest way to learn it (they say), so hang in there! I'll stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete