Thursday, August 22, 2013

Arrival in Besisahar


Although I thought I would be fine riding my bike to Besisahar, Kristen insisted that I ride a micro van. It would have likely taken a day and a half on the bike and only about 5 hours in the bus, and it turns out Kristen was probably right as the last 40k was mostly uphill. Although the microvan was hot and miserable as expected, the bike ride would have been grueling.
 Since arriving here 3 days ago things have gone very well. The apartment is very nice. Many places here are dingy, dark, and dirty. This apartment however, has stone floors, marble counters, a western toilet, a shower and large windows in all but one room. It feels open, airy and comfortable. Very nice! I like!
I also found an excellent volunteer opportunity at a public school on the hill above the main part of town, that is to say that Kristen found it for me. The school is 1-10 and government funded. The children stay in their classroom and the teachers travel from room to room for each of their 8 40 min. periods in a day. I will be helping, teaching, and sharing ideas with other teachers for about 15 periods per week, including 6th and 8th grade english, 5th grade math, and 4th grade art. Although I am very excited about being in a school, the first few classroom experiences were baffling and exhausting. Two times I was introduced and told "teach them art/math" and promptly abandoned (In math I was given a textbook page and in art, nothing). Another class, 8th grade english no less, I showed up to meet the class and watch, but the teacher did not. So there I was in front of 40 something 8th/4th/6th graders with no plan, and on top of it very limited communication options. One class, the teacher was very helpful and said "I will teach today and tomorrow, you teach." Fortunately tomorrow is today and it is a holiday. I only have one class period tomorrow so it should not be so bad. Hopefully in the near future I will have a little more support. 

Right now I am going on a bike ride great trails around. Wish me luck.

The view from our porch. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow sounds like you're living it up! So beautiful your view is! Are they growing something specific on those terraces or are they just deco...grass?

    ReplyDelete