Monday, September 16, 2013

A Vacation From a Working Vacation: Segment One


Since my last post ages ago Kristen and I have been extremely busy.

We took a vacation from our life in Besisahar and went on 3 consecutive excursions, (canyoning, witnessing a couple of Hindu Ceremonies, and going to a national park) I went through two Louis L’amour books and George Orwell’s 1984, and began reading a book about Buddhist Yoga.

Although I have little to say about the reading other than it was very entertaining, there is too much to say for one post on the rest of our activities. So here is the first of three installments.

Canyoning and a rafting camp:

From Besisahar we took the public busses (my favorite mode of transport) to a rafting camp about halfway to Kathmandu. Thecamp is about a 10 minute walk from the highway and is right on the Trisuli River with a relatively large beach and nice swimming spot. I lusted after a nice looking surfing wave in the middle of the river but could not indulge as our real reason for staying at the camp was to go Canyoning. Although it is not rafting season yet, it is fast approaching and staying at the camp gave me a great opportunity to make contacts. Not only did I meet a couple of the guides, but I was able to meet the owner of the company. We chatted over dinner and into the night about glorious and disastrous rafting trips, drinking rakshi all the while. I’ve been wanting to sample Himalayan whitewater, so I told him all about my experience and he invited me come and kayak along with a rafting trip to “see how I paddle”. I informed him that I was much better with oars in my hands than in a kayak, but they only have oars on their gear boats and none of those are going out at the moment. However, a quick look at the river reassured me that my kayaking skills are quite up to the task. I have sent him an email and hope to hear back soon so that I can go either this weekend or next.

Future prospects aside, canyoning was the order of business for this visit. Canyoning, unrecognized by spell check, is rappelling and abseiling down a steep canyon in and by waterfalls. It was a blast, quite literally. Above the starting point is a waterfall that is at least 100 ft. tall, when you try to approach it in the pool below the wind is so forceful that the pain caused by the pelting water ensures your swift retreat. There were about 6 waterfalls in all, the biggest at about 40ft. and the smallest about 5 feet.Ironically it was that smallest of the slides on which Kristen and I both incurred some bruises. This was because you are attached to no rope and slide down the rocks above like a natural waterslide and over the edge into the pool below. The last waterfall is about 15 feet and you have the opportunity to just jump off from 2 different places: the big jump, and the chicken jump. I opted for the full experience while Kristen weinied out and did the small one.


Sunset on the beach at Camp Adrenaline Rush. (In a full Nepali squat)

1 comment:

  1. Glad your knee is able to do that squat! Grampa George would be proud that you're reading those books. He was a big Louis L'amour fan as well as Zane Grey. And I'm sure he read Orwell too. Be careful on those adventures...Did you keep up with that accident insurance? :-)

    ReplyDelete